Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow

To: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 13:50:19 -0600
Hi Jim,

Ok, I *finally* get it!!! I thought that you were stating that there is a
literal, simultaneous flow of other particles moving in the opposite
direction.

And it just dawned on me that the idea of holes in solid materials is not
nuts after all, which I've believed for over 45 years.  Thanks for your
patience and time, professor!

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Nov 16, 2016 11:16 PM, "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu> wrote:
> Let me give you the simple, direct answer to your question, and then I
will give you the more complicated answer that's closer to being correct.
In a vacuum tube, the only things that move between the cathode and the
anode are electrons, and these move only in one direction, which is toward
the anode. There's nothing else moving inside the tube. Note I used the
word "move," rather than "flow," because if we have only, say, one electron
or a small number of them, then it doesn't make sense to talk about a flow.
A single electron is just a moving charge, it's not a flow of anything. A
"flow" always represents the aggregate motion of a large number of things.

[SNIP]