Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Conventional" current flow
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 09:45:48 -0700
Hi Paul,
I believe the detectors were built specifically to detect gravity waves
generally, not specifically colliding black holes. The detectors took about
half a century to build and debug!  When the scientists initially fired up
the two detectors, they were still in a test and calibration mode to verify
everything was working properly. They expected that gravity waves would be
so weak they'd have to do lots of statistical averaging to extract them from
the noise. But then, this huge chirp came in on one detector, and then seven
milliseconds later it arrived at the second detector.  The waveforms of the
two signals were identical, and they were so strong you can hear the chirp
over a loudspeaker. For the scientists and engineers who had devoted their
entire careers to this one experiment, it was an enormously emotional
moment.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Christensen