Re: [Amps] Is it legal?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Is it legal?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 15:37:01 -0500
It's "my understanding" the rules apply only to equipment built specifically for the amateur service. IOW, you can adapt anything that was not meant for the amateur service and you are "supposed to keep the power output at, or below the legal limit. .Emtron amps were imported for some years. The DX-2sp and 3sp will run the legal limit, any mode with no time limit. . They come with either a single Chinese FU728F, or two. Then there is the 5K which I think runs a 4CX5000.

The DX-2sp and 3sp will also run 4CX1500s as they have a filament tap for them. The centering pin on the socket has been turned down a couple thousandths so the 1500s fit right in. Just adjust the bias. They had enough gain and power capabilities that they could not be manufactured here, but you could import as many as you could afford. The FCC is looking at dropping the gain limitation.

The problem with Tetrodes is too many hams tune them like a triode. Also, some rigs when run at reduced power have a full power leading edge spike.

So, based on experience, "I believe" you can modify, or adapt almost anything to use on the ham bands.

73

Roger (K8RI)