Re: [Amps] 600W vs 1.5KW amps was: Re: SS amps and autotune...

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 600W vs 1.5KW amps was: Re: SS amps and autotune...
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 08:37:05 -0500
On 12/07/2016 11:12 PM, Steve Wright wrote:

On 08/12/16 16:31, amps-request@contesting.com qrv@kd4e.com wrote:
A 600w SS amp is not expensive to build - a 1.5KW is.

Might we divide the discussion that way, please?

I submit that a 600W amp is more expensive to build.

Sounds counterintuitive, but when the question of WHY you would WANT a
600W amp is factored in, then the answer is clearer.

  Not for QRO, but with the increasing higher Voltage power
distribution - es QRM, 100 Watts is becoming too low of power for daily
rag chew covering gud sized states, for some receive sites 300 or 400
Watts is the new normal. (for SSB, whatever that is)
  Most in FL use ~600 Watts SS amplifiers at 3-4 hundred Watts always.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Youvan's corollary:
                Every action results in unwanted side effects.