Re: [Amps] the 600 watt amp

To: <qrv@kd4e.com>, <amps@contesting.com>, "gudguyham@aol.com" <gudguyham@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] the 600 watt amp
From: Catherine James <catherine.james@att.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 18:37:11 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 12/8/16, gudguyham@aol.com <gudguyham@aol.com> wrote:
> I would venture to say that in the circle of hams who congregate here that
> the 811H
> amplifier isn't a viable consideration of any sort.

It depends what is being considered and discussed.

- If the question is, "What amp should I buy?", then yes, you're probably right.

- If the question is about what the alternatives are to building a solid-state
600 watt amp, it should be included, but for most posters here a used SB-200 or
SB-220 (or other used tube amp) is more likely the alternative.  (I considered
building a W6PQL two-deck amp some time ago, but abandoned the idea when I
realized how difficult it would be, so this includes me.)

But if the question is whether solid-state devices are ready to completely
ready to replace tube finals in new commercial products, as some have argued,
then the 811H is *utterly* relevant, because that price point and performance
is what will need to be replaced to achieve mass usage.

I don't have sales figures on the 811 and 811H, but I would bet that they
(together with the AL-80B) far outsell all other new HF amps combined.

73,
Cathy
N5WVR