Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Fault 17

To: "'Jim W7RY'" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>, "'Charlie Young'" <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Fault 17
From: "Jerry O. Stern" <jsternmd@att.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 10:28:25 -0500
Fault 17 could be due to several issues, the fault reporting only shows the
last fault and sometimes the actual triggering cause may precede the 17.   You
will need to hook up the 87A to a PC with hyperterminal or similar and look at
fault history.

Three top causes : 1) bandswitch misalignment; 2) GPIO failure and 3) arc to L1
with carbon trace

1) If it happens on every band when manually selected (mid band) then unlikely
to be bandswitch unless someone really knocked it around during repair

2) For the GPIO then due to a failed diode (1N5711) in one of the wattmeters.
There are Input and Output wattmeters.

Here are some tests.

a) Connect PC to serial port with a modem program communicating with the
amplifier.

b) With the 87A in STANDBY, transmit through the amplifier with 100 w from the
radio to a dummy load (or antenna with low SWR).

c) On the PC, type EXT ON.

d) On the PC, type GPIO (radio still transmitting 100w). This command reports
Grid current, Plate current, Input power, and Output power each time it is
typed. It should be showing about 100w input and about 100w output. If one of
those is not reading correctly, that indicates the wattmeter diodes are damaged.

3) requires removal of L1 and close visual inspection

73 es HNY
Jerry NY2KW