Re: [Amps] Diagnosing relay problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Diagnosing relay problem
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 16:10:23 +0000
If there's enough cable length between the relays in the rx path, a TDR might do it.

I feel sure there should be a way using a capacitance meter, but I haven't stopped to figure out how yet.

Steve

I have recently been suffering from intermittent attenuation of RX signals
through my amplifier, which has a vacuum relay (Jennings RJ1-A) in the output
and a HG d'Italia relay from max gain (see here:
https://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/RFrelays_misc.htm) in the input. The problem
is that I would like to determine which relay is responsible before taking it
apart!
I can't think of a way, and am considering replacing both of them. Does anyone
have an idea?
Also, has anyone experience with the HG d'Italia relays? I wonder if this was
such a good choice. It is fast enough, but I wonder about its lifespan.

Vic 4X6GP