[Amps] Alpha Seventy HV Meter Readings

To: "'Amps group'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha Seventy HV Meter Readings
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:09:21 -0500
I've recently acquired an air-cooled version of the Alpha Seventy amplifier.
I notice that HV reads about 500V low when comparing it to a Fluke DMM with
Fluke HV probe.  The supply is the same as my vapor-cooled version.  The
vapor amp's HV meter tracks in line with the Fluke.

My first thought was that the meter was out of calibration.  It's a common 1
mA DC movement.  A NOS replacement meter also reads low by 500V.  That
leaves the five 1-meg HV metering divider resistors but they all measure
within 1% tolerance as they should -- metal film resistors rarely drift out
of spec.

So, my plan is to change the value of only the 1-meg resistor on the cold
end of the 5 megohm string.  By computation, I get 500K instead of 1-meg for
a total string value of 4.5-meg instead of 5.0-meg.  Seem like a reasonable
approach to y'all?

Paul, W9AC