Re: [Amps] Comet vacuum variable capacitor data

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Comet vacuum variable capacitor data
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:33:47 +0000

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 10:40:34 +0000, Alan wrote:

>I'm half tempted to use a multi-gang air variable from an old broadcast
>radio. I don't need a high voltage rating, there is less than 300v peak,
>but I need it to carry at least 10 amps.

REPLY:

I would caution against using broadcast radio variables. 300 Vpk
sounds like enough until there is a 'SWR fault in which case it likely
to arc. Once an air variable arcs, a little blister forms at the pint
of the arc and from then on, the corona effect reduces the arc voltage
even lower.

IMO, anything handling high power RF should be over-rated because Mr
Murphy is always close at hand.

Good luck with your project.

73, Bill W6WRT