[Amps] Checking Filament Voltage

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Checking Filament Voltage
From: Roger Parsons via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 15:06:58 +0000 (UTC)
Many thanks for many replies received both direct and via the reflector.
However, I'm not sure that I can reach a definitive conclusion!

The tube in question is a 4CX1500A - purely because I happen to have one and a
base - so the filament current is quite significant. I am concerned about
voltage loss on the fairly long connections between transformer and tube.

The reason for wanting to do this is that the design of the (existing) cabinet
(and my ideosyncratic circuitry) make it very difficult indeed to change
filament voltage when all is assembled, except over a small adjustment range.
In most amateur amplifiers the filament power and blower are applied
simultaneously so there must a short period before cooling starts.That's my
theory anyway...

I am quite seduced by the concept of having a fan blowing on the base of the
tube whilst I do the test, and I think I will try that. Whilst I may have to
make several repeats, each test should only take a few
seconds.

Thanks again for the help.

73 Roger

VE3ZI