Re: [Amps] Shipping Costs

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Costs
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX via Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2017 21:51:55 -0500
Over the years I have sold ham gear and occasionally shipped internationally. At one time, one could ship packages internationally via USPS surface mail. The packages would take up to six weeks to get to their recipient, but it was a relatively economical way to ship. That changed about 10 years ago or so when the international surface mail option was discontinued. I have no idea why. The same is true with shipments to Canada. During around the same period, the cost of shipping to Canada really escalated. In fact, several Canadians that I know, who live close to the U.S. border, have stuff shipped to their U.S. friends just across the border and simply drive there to pick them up.

A couple of years ago I sold a Titan 425 amp to a Russian ham. It was shipped in three boxes via the USPS. He paid $450 for shipping. I couldn't believe that he wanted it that badly.

73, Joe
K2XX

Jim Brown <mailto:jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:37 AM
I've shipped a lot of used gear (and other stuff) by USPS, UPS, and FedEx. With all of them, I do my own packing. I save the good boxes and good packing materials that I receive (there is a special place in hell for shippers who use those f#%king packing peanuts). I have more boxes and packing material than I can ever use. :)

With UPS and FedEx, I fill out shipping paperwork, pay online, print my own documents, tape them to the package, and drop the package off at one of their locations (or hand them to a FedEx or UPS driver). Their websites are very easy to use. I take boxes I'm shipping via USPS to the post office, let them compute the postage (and advise me as to the best way to ship), and pay them. NONE of these locations charge for handling that package. For most stuff, my preferred shipper is USPS. I may be lucky, but I've never had a problem with anything I've shipped with any of those shippers. If you're paying to use those shipping locations, you're ignorant, or lazy, or you've got a job and your time is worth more than mine. I'm retired. :)

73, Jim K9YC

Tom Osborne <mailto:w7why1@gmail.com>
Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:20 PM
I worked in a shop here in town that did UPS shipping. There was about a
25% markup on shipping charges through our store. Going to the local UPS
Store here, it cost WAY more than that to ship the same box by UPS.

Some of these smaller stores just use UPS to bring in customers. The UPS
store is in it to make a profit after paying their employees. Not the best
way to ship. 73
Tom W7WHY

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Roger (K8RI) <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>

Roger (K8RI) <mailto:k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:05 PM
$475 to ship a Palstar Auto-tuner?  How much did it weigh?

I've received amplifiers in two boxes at well over 100# total from Australia for considerably less than that. OTOH, I was charged nearly $200 on import duty, when there should have been none due to a trade agreement. I think it went into somebody's pocket. Calls and e-mails went unanswered. My FT5000MP at 1# under max for UPS was considerably less than that from CA.

I agree that the USPS, "If it fits, it ships" boxes are by far the least expensive, but I've found USPS to be the least reliable.

Don't have UPS, or FED-X pick up. Ship from their stores. It's much cheaper. I use both services as well as USPS and have not run into these excessive charges..."YET" OTOH I've not shipped anything large recently. I did receive an AV680 from the E coast and w whole bunch of of AL tubing from DX engineering with quite reasonable charges.

Some companies have outrageous shipping and handling charges.

73, Roger (K8RI)

---