Re: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@outlook.com>, "'Amps group'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS amps watercooling - was PowerGenius XL
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 12:01:39 -0000
>When I worked in the avionics industry, we used de-ionized water to
>clean circuit boards. Distilled water was strictly forbidden due to
>it's corrosive properties on the plumbing.
>
>73, Bill W6WRT

The same applied in the old UK Fast Reactors, in which the fuel rods
were cooled by direct contact with molten sodium metal. The Intermediate
Heat Exchangers had molten sodium on one side and high-pressure water on
the other. Any contact between them would have resulted in a hydrogen
explosion followed by the mother of all radioactive fires.

The engineers who worked on those IHXs were world-class corrosion
experts, and this is how they described their job: "On one side of the
heat exchanger we're working with one of the most dangerous and
corrosive liquids in the world, that will eat away anything it touches
and demands constant vigilance. Fortunately, the other side is only
liquid sodium."

73 from Ian GM3SEK