Re: [Amps] Tubes, transistors, and 'abuse'

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes, transistors, and 'abuse'
From: Thomas Walsh <w2co@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 08:14:36 -0600
Cathy, I have a tube with handles that actually heats the basement in
the winter just idling! I wonder if there's any transistor that can do
that?
I know one thing, if I ever build a SS amp, it will be water cooled so
guess what? No heating the house unless you hook that fish tank pump
into the main hot water tank...and it will be connected to a resonant
load with NO tuner! haha ;)

On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 12:12 +0000, Catherine James wrote:
> Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com> wrote:
> > Cathy James <n5wvr@arrl.net> wrote:
>
> >> I've lost track of the number of times I've had to replace the IRF510
> >> MOSFETs in my HFPacker 35
> >> watt amp.  This is a good little amp, but it eats IRF510 transistors for
> >> breakfast. It is Class A, with two
> >> devices in parallel.
>
> > Did you miss where I said "when not abused"?
>
> Did you miss where I said "When 'pick up the component in your hand'
> qualifies as 'abuse', you have an issue"?
>
> > I'm sure you are not personally abusing them, but something in the
> > environment is
> > and they are clearly not being properly protected.
>
> Again, the point is that they require extreme protection. Tubes don't.
>
> > When you handle them, do you have an anti-static mat and wear a ground
> > wrist strap?
>
> In my previous email, I wrote "I'm reasonably careful, avoiding unnecessary
> component handling during installation,
> and wearing a grounding strap on my wrist."  No, I don't have an anti-static
> mat.
>
> When you handle tubes, do you use an anti-static mat? :-)
>
> 73,
> Cathy
> N5WVR

Sent from W2CO