Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation
From: "Kevin Stover, AC0H" <kstover@ac0h.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 09:15:01 -0500
Agree,

I'd use the phrase "de-rated" like they do in aircraft engines.
Aircraft engines are rated for a certain horse power or thrust at sea level. An engine thermally rated for 900 HP might only make three quarters or half that amount at altitude.

The guys running those LDMOS devices full tilt, meaning past 1dB compression, will have them fail, hopefully spectacularly, but then get on the internet and bemoan SS amps in general as not being robust enough. These are the people who have given SSPA's their reputation.

A friend of mine has an Ameritron 1306. 8 MRF-150's, amplifier rated for 1200W out SSB and CW. He runs it at 1KW. He doesn't vary. When doing RTTY he knocks it back to 700W.

RF design of an SSPA is pretty straight forward, Most of the time and money should be spent on the LPF and the thermal design. Everybody talks about the price of the devices themselves. The most expensive part of any SSPA is the LPF...by a long shot. Ceramic chip caps capable of taking the high current involved are more expensive than silver if sold by the ounce.

Why do we need four LDMOS devices for 1500W out? What's the 1dB compression point on the devices? The LDMOS devices I know about have a 1KW compression point Run a pair at 800W out each. Should do it all day long, have clean output, and be easier to cool.