Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Price per Watt Conversation
From: "Doug Ronald" <doug@dougronald.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 11:49:39 -0700
"I don't think there is an upper limit. It's more a question of what's
practical. There is an increasing number of hams using homebrew amplifiers
that use 16, 24, 32, or even 48 cheap 1-dollar MOSFETs. Those FETs are much
like your IRF510, only for higher voltage. The IRF710  is a typical one used
in those amps."

I have 32 BJTs in my push-pull parallel design. Once a single 220 Watt
module was designed with lots of negative feedback, and its own
self-contained switching power supply, it was easy to splitter/combiner my
way to full power. The advantage of such design is that I simply don't
supply mains voltage to one or more modules, and I have instant lower power.
The disadvantage is that some power is eaten in the output combiner. Without
pre-distortion techniques, I have maximum 3rd order products 37 dB down. I
have a fan on each module, but they are thermally controlled in a PID loop.
At 2 kW into a dummy load, I can just hear them spinning. Another problem
with this design is that the inexpensive output transistors are now obsolete
- good thing I purchased a bunch although none have ever failed.

-Doug Ronald

W6DSR