[Amps] Fwd: Price per Watt Conversation

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fwd: Price per Watt Conversation
From: Shane Youhouse <kd6vxi@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:01:07 -0700
I believe it's somewhat apparent, when looking at needing a quad of 200
dollar devices to produce what is considered decent imd...

Your right back at a 3cx3000A7.  Which has linearity approaching the ldmos
with apd capabilities by itself.

And the 3cx3000 doesn't need an antenna tuner to keep it from blowing up
with the swr presented when I get 3 to 5 inches of radial ice detaining.  I
consider that the offset to the Pete Dahl needed to run the Eimac.

And if you run rebuilds or have a decent line on pulls, the 3cx3000 is
cheaper.

Headroom, about the same.

As to durability, I had MRF devices that claimed the ability to operate 20
to 1 VSWR.  And they didn't survive even 2 to 5:1, as Manfred had explained
why earlier.

The ldmos stuff is great for ease of use, newbie people, guys who live in
tropical regions, Arizona, etc. DXpeditions, and the like.

But I believe you would do better with an 8877 or 3cx3000 if you wanted
maximum cleanliness.  K1JJ has a class A 8877 chain that is amazing, IMD
wise.

Ldmos will be cheaper, within the decade.

And, when looking at everything Manfred (great website, btw) pointed out,
the Dishtronix Prometheus is.... Well, about everything needed.

--Shane
KD6VXI