Re: [Amps] Entry level license

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Entry level license
From: Glen Zook via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 21:18:06 +0000 (UTC)
One major flaw with the existing examinations is the fact that the EXACT
wording of the question that MUST be used on any test, the EXACT wording of the
correct answer, and the EXACT wording of the ONLY "wrong" answers that may be
included, are published.  Although it is a virtual impossibility for anyone to
actually memorize the questions and answers, almost everyone has the ability,
after taking numerous sample tests (available all over the Internet), to
subconsciously recognize the correct answer.  The logic behind the answer is
unknown, but, since the person has taken numerous sample examinations, they are
able to choose the correct answer.

This is unlike the "goode olde dayes" when one had to know the material, be
able to choose the correct formula and be able to use that formula correctly,
to be able to draw schematics, and so forth.  Looking back at the "sample"
questions that were in the old ARRL License Manuals, even the Novice Class
examination required more technical knowledge, as well as safety
considerations, than the present Technician Class examination.

I do not blame newcomers for their lack of knowledge, I blame the licensing
system in place today.  The newcomer has passed the required examination(s) and
is just as much an amateur radio operator as those who have been licensed for
more than 50-years.  However, how that person operates, etc., and how they
accept the traditions of the Amateur Radio Service, is important to me.  Those
that come from the 47 CFR Part 95 Subpart D Radio Service and do NOT give up
the bad habits that they had on "CB", are not welcome!  But, those who are
willing to change their ways are certainly welcome, at least to me.

Glen, K9STH
Website: http://k9sth.net