Re: [Amps] Emergency communication

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Emergency communication
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 02:31:06 -0400
I'll admit the average ham, or even most hams would have a problem understanding computer source code, but all it take is little studying of the particular language used to follow it. OTOH there are some very complex programs out there that contain thousands of line of code, that the guys who wrote it have a problem reading it ten years later and I'm one of them. Yes I have a degree in CS with work toward a masters, but those are not necessary to understanding what that code is going to do. It does often require reading at least part of a book on the particular language. I did say would take a little study as does every facet of Ham Radio.

Once you learn the basics, understanding well written source code can be relatively easy to follow, BUT like mechanical aptitude, not everyone will become proficient, or even grasp the concepts and there is a LOT of code that is not well written.

I was raised on a farm, many years ago when it was a different world. Improvisation was a key to fixing things when you didn't have the correct parts, or couldn't afford them. It required that you had a fundamental understanding of the equipment at an early age. Worn out bearings? You made a wood block fitted to the steel bearing form, put it on the shaft and poured Babbitt metal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_(alloy) into it giving a form fitting bearing, much like rod bearings in an engine although far more crude. Amateur radio was the same.

One thing I disagree with is SSB and transceivers were developed close together although the smaller and lighter SSB rigs certainly aided the practical development of the transceiver. SSB was around quite a while before transceivers became popular. Originally SSB was accomplished with adapters on AM rigs. We went through several generations of those before separate transmitters and receivers with SSB capabilities turned up. Collins 75AXX receivers and the KWS-1 transmitter (I had both http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boat1.htm ), Hallicrafters HT32 series ( http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/boat8.htm ). Then the S-line, and less expensive equipment like HT37 turned up and suddenly sweep tube finals to be followed by amplifiers using sweep tubes became a relatively inexpensive rout to the latest technologies., but rigs were still relatively simple. with the CW and SSB modes being by far the most popular. SSB generation was relatively simple, using either phasing, or filter generation. USB and LSB were selected by simply moving the carrier. I would add that BOTH Collins and Hallicrafters produced transceiver along with separate transmitters and receivers for quite a while. Just the last generation of top end rigs and SDRs have been capable of reaching the clean signals of those S-lines. Unfortunately, they also gave hams access to stages that let them turn that excellent signal capability into garbage!

The sweep tube generation was the point where signal quality began the slide with the new, bipolar transistors adding to the decline. Unfortunately there are many hams including old timers that do not understand why so many of us want to see the signal quality cleaned up. Yet if all the rigs had a signal as clean as the old Collins S-line we could squeeze more stations onto crowded bands with far less QRM

Schematics and programs tell me a lot about a rig and particularly if the program is open source with the source code. (source code=the program before it's compiled) To me the SDRs are the easiest to follow with the source code, even if I have to back up and create a diagram. Yes, it's time consuming, but IF the source code is laid out properly with "internal documentation" (internal documentation= complete explanation as to what that piece of code does and how it does it). This should be included in ever source code.

I will add that I've spent many hours reorganizing programs written by engineers to make them readable and added the documentation. I've also fought battles with department heads who read a book on programming and concluded they knew how to program.unfortunately some were higher up the food chain than I. Those are the worst to decipher, or to get other programs to work with them.

In the end, SDRs may turn out to be the easiest to understand, second only to the old SSB / CW rigs, but they will require a different mind set.

73, Roger (K8RI)