Re: [Amps] new amp race

To: manfred@ludens.cl, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race
From: "sm0aom@telia.com" <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 19:32:32 +0200 (CEST)
The rise of the man-made noise floor is a real problem, but I do not hold my
breath for the Authorities
to increase the legal power limit for these reasons.

On the contrary, I foresee quite severe power reduction in many countries, due
to the
concern from the general public of EMF exposure.

Many Radiation Protection agencies nowadays have on their agendas the reduction
of "unnecessary" EMF exposure,
and amateur radio is not considered as "necessary" in their eyes.
In some countries the actual competence of "week-end course educated" radio
amateurs when it comes to handling kilowatt
power levels in residential areas has been openly questioned.

The amateur radio power limits in most countries are set by tradition from the
"spark days" and are not derived out of any modern
spectrum or network planning criteria,as the power limits for other radio
services are.

As non-commercial actors, we cannot demand any circuit availability.
The reasoning of the ITU at the WRC-15  that was behind the process that
resulted in the 15 W EIRP power limit for the 5 MHz shared
 band is particularly interesting.

To make things even worse, the justification for amateur radio in general has
also been questioned by the spectrum authorities in some
European countries, and "anti-amateur radio" voices have been raised within the
CEPT.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM