Re: [Amps] new amp race

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 12:23:12 -0700
On Sun,5/21/2017 11:50 AM, Catherine James wrote:
The next cheapest 10 db is installing a tribander at 70 ft or higher.

I don't know of any tri-banders that will give you more than about 7 dB over a dipole (dBd), and most are in the range of 3-5 dBd. Stack a pair and pick up another 3 dB, as well as diversity of vertical pattern.

From an engineering point of view, Cathy's points are right on target. EVERY system is different -- engineering is the art and science of compromise tailored to the system in question. As she notes, nearly all hams are limited in what antennas we can put up, by our RX noise environment, and by our budget. A compromise that's great for one of us may be less than ideal (or even quite poor) for the next guy.

I'm lucky to have a lot of real estate and a lot of redwoods, and to have moderate RX noise on most bands most of the time. The trees are free, but the tree climbers are not. :) High band antennas are Yagis at 120 ft and 40 ft. My low band antennas are wires as high as I can get them (about 140 ft) in those trees, and I've got four RX antennas. I've also got a pair of 87As (bought used) and a KPA500 (for 600W on 6M and instant-on). And I've spent a LOT of time minimizing my own contributions to RX noise -- there are no SMPS in my home/shack. I'm pushing the envelope from both directions -- legal limit power and optimizing both TX and RX antennas.

And as another kind of challenge, I also run QRP in DX contests. 160 countries QRP, 319 at legal limit.

I have no respect for hams running illegal power -- I view it as cheating, just like Lance Armstrong and Barry Bonds.

73, Jim K9YC