[Amps] new amp race

To: <amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amps] new amp race
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:08:21 -0700
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 17:52:50 +0200
From: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@xxxxxxxxx>, <amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amps] new amp race

<You will have that temperature pretty fast when you operate a 3CX3000 at
half of its maximum dissipation in a relatively small shack.

73
Peter, DJ7WW

##  agreed, which is why you open the window a bit..which is fine in fall, and
winter, but useless in summer.
I  instead put it in the un heated shop next door, in the basement.   Then no
noise..or heat in shack.
I also have the option to duct the heat to the outdoors in summer.   I only
heat the shop if Im
working in there.   Shack is a tiny thing...8 x 10.   Another 1000 sq ft for
the rest of the basement..
with about  600 sq ft for the shop + storage.

##  On buddys YC-156 amp, it does reside in the shack upstairs.  But both the
intake
air and hot exhaust are ducted through the floor to the basement below the
shack. That is
where the blower resides.   Then he can either heat the basement in winter..or
duct the
hot exhaust to the outside in summer.

##  In my case, I have to go next door to tweak the amp, no big deal, since its
 just dial
it up by the numbers.   One setting will cover a huge chunk of band.

Jim   VE7RF