Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers

To: <amps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SWR and amplifiers
From: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 16:01:32 +0200
And how can it enter into it?

73
Peter, DJ7WW

-----Original Message-----
From: Amps [mailto:amps-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas Walsh

And some of the reflected power ends up as
"waste heat" in the final and tank circuit.

Sent from my iPad

> On May 24, 2017, at 23:15, Vic Rosenthal <k2vco.vic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Everything Ron said is correct-- except that when an amplifier is
generating 1000 watts and feeding an antenna through a line with an SWR that
results in 100 watts reflected power, the usual SWR/power meter will show
1100 watts forward and 100 reflected. A meter like the Alpha 45xx has the
option of computing "delivered power", which is forward-reflected.

> In the situation described by Bill, the actual power generated is 900
watts, and the antenna will radiate 900 watts less the losses incurred. The
multiple reflections of a portion of that power are what cause the
additional losses due to SWR.

> Don't believe this? You can test it. Transmit a given power into a 50 ohm
load and note the reading. Say forward power is 10 watts and reflected is 0.
Then change the load impedance so there is an SWR greater than 1:1. You will
note that forward and reflected readings will both increase about the same
amount.

> Vic 4X6GP
>
>> On 25 May 2017, at 2:46, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Bill W6WRTTurner wrote:
>>
>>> There is something I don't completely understand about the effect of
>>> SWR on an amplifier. Perhaps someone here can clear it up?
>>
>>> Let's say my SWR meter indicates 1000 watts forward and 100 watts
>>> reflected.
>>
>>> 1. Does this mean the actual radiated power from the antenna is 900
>>> watts?
>>
>>> 2. How much power is the amp actually putting out - 1000 watts or just
>>> 900?
>>
>>> 2. If the answer to #2 is only 900, why does the SWR meter indicate
>>> 1000? Is that a false reading caused by the actual 900 added to the