Re: [Amps] FL-2100B input swr problem

To: Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FL-2100B input swr problem
From: K2CB <k2cb@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 23:33:56 -0400
Good news. I found the causes of the tuned input issues.

One, I misinterpreted the indexing of the input band switch wafer for the tuned
input coils. I had the switch's input and output sides reversed.  When I
initially ohm'ed it out, I neglected to realize that both common wipers (tube
input and antenna relay sides) obviously will show continuity to the five
positions on both sides at the same time due to the low resistance path of the
coils.

That's what I get for taking all of the old components out first. Once I went
back and looked at some photos of the original component layout, I realized I
had the mics component values and coil sides reversed.  Once I properly
repositioned the mics caps to the proper sides of the coils, things began to
tune properly.

Well, sort of. That solved the issue for 80, 40, and 20m.

On 15 and 10m, while better (no longer an infinite SWR), the input SWR was
still between 2-3:1.

What I found was that how and where the 10 and 15m caps are grounded makes a
big difference in the overall tuned circuit. The lower bands were not critical,
but the upper two bands needed the mica caps tied to different ground points
individually, with the 10 and 15m ground leads spaced apart. The 80 and 40m
mica cap leads didn't seem to matter. 20m exhibited some interaction, but with
only a minor overall effect on input SWR.  Can you say inter-electrode
capacitance?

My advice to the next person tackling this repair job is to tie the replacement
mica cap ground leads to the exact same points as the OEM caps, even if you
think you can arrange them in a neater and easier fashion. In the end I wound
up using solder lug star washers at the original mounting hole locations of the
doorknob caps.  The initial method of soldering the mics cap leads to the two
or three terminal strip ground points obviously didn't fare well!

Now to finish the rest of the amp's issues tomorrow.

You learn something new every day!

Eric
K2CB