Re: [Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses
From: Warren Volz <warren@warrenvolz.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:30:58 -0600
Thank you for the replies. I had some time to circle back to this today and
checked a few things.

- With the tubes removed, it looks like they have no shorts but the grids
measure ~0 ohms (maybe it’s too low for my meter?). Is that expected?
- Checking the filament transformer I see (All are while in circuit with the
power switch off)
        BLK-BLK/YEL = 3.2 ohms
        BLK/GRN-BLK/RED = 4.1 ohms
        RED-RED = 10 ohms
        GRN-GRN = 0 ohms
        GRN/YEL-GRN = 0 ohms

        Am I correct in assuming that 0 ohms across the GRN/GRN winding is not
a good sign?
- Checking the anode to chassis resistance without tubes and the HV interlock
defeated I see ~750 Kohm, is this normal?

When I rebuilt this, I did the following modifications:
        - W7RY board with fuse option installed
        - ES4SB220 filter capacitor board installed with new electrolytics
        - RM220 replacement metering board installed
        - Grids grounded
        - Molex connector on the HV transformer primary windings

As I mentioned previously I think the fan isn’t working, but I haven’t had a
chance to verify that yet. I only have one more replacement set of fuses so I’m
trying to be smart about my testing until I can get replacements (likely later
this week). I can easily disconnect the HV transformer. Am I correct in
assuming that if the fuses blow after disconnecting the HV primary I can assume
the filament transformer is bad?

Thanks again for your help!

-Warren