Re: [Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses

To: ka4inm@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 step start blows fuses
From: Warren Volz <warren@warrenvolz.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:58:43 -0600
Ron,

Thanks for the reply!

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 3:51 PM, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   Warren Volz wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the replies. I had some time to circle back to this today and
>> checked a few things.
>
>> - With the tubes removed, it looks like they have no shorts but the grids
>> measure ~0 ohms (maybe it’s too low for my meter?). Is that expected?
>> - Checking the filament transformer I see (All are while in circuit with the
>> power switch off)
>>      BLK-BLK/YEL = 3.2 ohms
>>      BLK/GRN-BLK/RED = 4.1 ohms
>>      RED-RED = 10 ohms
>>      GRN-GRN = 0 ohms
>>      GRN/YEL-GRN = 0 ohms
>
>  Tube pins 2, 3 & 4 should all measure zero Ohms in any direction.

Correct, they are zero Ohm (after the meter settles) in any direction.

>>      Am I correct in assuming that 0 ohms across the GRN/GRN winding is not
>> a good sign?
>> - Checking the anode to chassis resistance without tubes and the HV
>> interlock defeated I see ~750 Kohm, is this normal?
>
>  Zero Ohms is a good reading across a 5 Volt 30 Ampere transformer
> winding.
>
>> When I rebuilt this, I did the following modifications:
>>      - W7RY board with fuse option installed
>>      - ES4SB220 filter capacitor board installed with new electrolytics
>>      - RM220 replacement metering board installed
>>      - Grids grounded
>>      - Molex connector on the HV transformer primary windings
>> As I mentioned previously I think the fan isn’t working, but I haven’t had a
>> chance to verify that yet. I only have one more replacement set of fuses so
>> I’m trying to be smart about my testing until I can get replacements (likely
>> later this week). I can easily disconnect the HV transformer. Am I correct
>> in assuming that if the fuses blow after disconnecting the hV primary I can
>> assume the filament transformer is bad?
>
>> Thanks again for your help!
>
>  You do not say if the filaments light or start to light when you turn
> on the power.  You do not say if you have the unit in the high power or
> low power mode.
>
>  I do not know anything about the step start circuit, but it is suspect.

When I had the fuses blow the meter lights did not turn on, but I can’t comment
on the filaments. I was being a little paranoid and was several feet away when
I first turned it on. Unit was in the low power mode when I tried it before.

-Warren