Re: [Amps] Apparent Arcing (Roger Parsons)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Apparent Arcing (Roger Parsons)
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 00:41:55 +0000
Roger,

Obviously I'm missing something! Any ideas what?

If I follow your story correctly, the noise appears only when there is actually some current flowing through the soft start circuitry. This points at arcing at the relay contact, even if you cleaned at and even if it looks bright.

Power relays use a silver alloy, or sometimes pure silver, on the contacts. This surface sulfidizes and becomes insulating. A high contact pressure, and mechanical wiping action during contact closure, can largely break down this layer. But in many power relays, specially ones that have been in storage for a long time, or that have spent time in a place with a high level of sulfur pollution (traffic, power plants, industry), this layer can be thick enough to be hard to rub off.

Such a sulfide layer on the contact is an insulator at low voltage, but arcs through at higher voltage. So it does conduct current, and causes a voltage drop that might be too small to be obvious, but will cause noise.

I suggest this test: Prepare a piece of wire, with freshly tinned ends. Also re-tin the relay connections. Power up the circuit, and after the step start has switched, short out the relay contact with this wire, making contact between freshly tinned surfaces only. If that short silences the arcing noise, then you know the relay contacts are the culprit.

Manfred