Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 177, Issue 5

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 177, Issue 5
From: "Chris Hays" <chris@chrishays.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:30:16 -0700
When you say direct to the circuit breaker, what are you bypassing?  If it
is the High Voltage on/off switch, I'd suspect arcing contacts there.  It
doesn't take much there with the inductance of that primary kicking back at
it.

Since it is quiet with the primary connected and no secondary load, I am
inclined to think it is not the transformer (voltage between turns is higher
with no load making arcing more likely if there is a fault).

Chris AB6QK

Message: 2