[Amps] Alpha 87 (not 87A)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87 (not 87A)
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 10:31:50 -0800
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 20:50:58 +1300
From: Steve Wright <stevewrightnz@gmail.com>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87 (not 87A)

<On 08/11/17 16:57, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 11/7/2017 11:57 AM, Steve Wright wrote:
>> That is a BELIEF.? It's not SCIENCE.
>
> No, it is measurement with calibrated instrumentation.

It's your argument.? I'm pointing out your fallacy and you're rotating
the logic.

If YOU make a POINT, then MAKE THE POINT.? Bring the logic, and the support.

> > HOW many?? What percentage?? Quote the ACTUAL numbers, aside from
> what you BELIEVE.
>
> You certainly seem to want to argue. I don't. If you care, turn on
> your radio, listen, and count them yourself.

That is a narcissist technique to skew the logic so that I am the one
presenting the fake logic, instead of YOU.

<Nice try, but no.

<S

##  Steve, what exactly is your... issue here ?   K9YC has a valid point.
Tune across the bands, and it doesnt take too long to  find 2.4 khz wide SSB
signals that eat up one helluva lot of BW.
Then key clix galore in the CW bands.  Every  yaesu  FT-1000,  FT-1000D,
FT-1000MP,  FT-1000-MP-field,  FT-1000-MP-MKV cranks out key clix  on CW...
right out of the box..
However an easy fix !
Then the rare cases of harmonics, esp if multiband ants are used.

##   On a side note,  I find it amusing that ssb contesters will TX using a 2.4
khz  bw.... yet RX using a 1.8 filter.

##  Sure the K3 is a lot cleaner, when power output is cut in half.... IF using
a 2 tone test.   The problem with any two tone...test is its a static, not
dynamic test.   Everything is in a steady state,  including
ALC derived voltages, all power supply voltages, drive level, po, bias, etc,
etc.    One can also easily alter the 2 tone tests results by simply changing
the tone spacing.   The tone spacing can be tweaked for  min IMD3  and  IMD5
products.
10 mins with any competent engineering book will tell you that IMD3 results are
highly influenced by higher order distortion products, and their phase
relationship.

##  IMD3  and IMD5 is not what causes splatter, its all the higher odd order
products.... esp the  7-9-11-13-15-17-19.   To get a complete picture, you
really need to apply normal audio, or processed audio.... and see the results
in real time,
on a real spectrum analyzer..... or listen to yourself on  a 2nd  xcvr.

##  depending on what country you are in, most will have either guidelines or
hard and fast rules and regs  pertaining to BW,  key clix, harmonics, spurs,
imd, etc.
The bands are crowded enough at times... lets not make it any worse.

##  In some cases, guest ops will have difficulties using some equipment they
have not used b4.  They may think they have the amp, xcvr tweaked correctly,
but  dont.   In which case, folks on the receiving end  of this mess, should
quickly
explain to them the situation.

Later.... Jim   VE7RF