Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Issue

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Choke Issue
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 08:39:54 +0000
   You don't necessarily need a very high voltage to get a long arc.

If the choke became resonant and burnt  the

vaporized copper wire or even a flame can produce a plasma path for the arc and

things get even worse.

    The conditions for arcs suddenly change once you toss in some ionized
molecules.

I have had some spectacular arcs and electrical flames in some amps I built.
Mostly

when I was much younger.

   I once built, just for fun a 4x 837 grounded grid amplifier that I drove
with my Viking Challenger.

I did not have a case, just chassis and front panel. I had set my over current
relay shunt resistor to zero.

And as a kid I took some short cuts. My power cord was a zip cord and no fuse.
I used a surplus

multi section pi wound choke.  The power supply was capable of several amps.
Made from some surplus

power transformers from a old tube digital computer.

  As I was tuning it up I noticed the output was fluctuating and suddenly a
bang and ZOONK!!! and a flame

shot more than a foot into the air and did not stop. I reached for the power
cord which was hot by this time

and yanked it out of the outlet.

  I had hit a resonances in one of the pi wound sections of the RF choke and
all that was left was a vertical

ceramic form and a pile of hot stuff on the chassis.  I scraped the stuff off
the chassis with a putty knife and wound my own choke and got it working
properly. But the flame was spectacular. I made a few contacts and set is aside
and went on to some other project. I used to do a lot of tinkering as a
teenager.

73

Bill wa4lav