Re: [Amps] Defining CCS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Defining CCS
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:05:34 -0500
There are a number of valid reasons for needing CCS to meet the wants of hams running digital modes at the legal limit.  Those reasons are as valid as are the reasons for running the legal limit on SSB and CW.  Many of them are the same.

Little of the older equipment was designed to run today's legal limit including the Collins 30-S1.  As we approach the time when the legal limit was changed, some amps were designed with substantial overhead, but unfortunately there were a number of commercially that were rated to run far more power output than either the tubes or power supplies could handle. As a carry-over from the "tube days" many hams were used to pushing tubes beyond their ratings so pushing these over rated amps was a well ingrained mind set.

When the legal limit was raised many just pushed these amps farther.

I have to disagree with the comments about narcissism on the bands. Certainly there are narcissistic hams as there are narcissistic individuals in all walks of life, but it has very little to do with whether we run CCS, or ICAS (however it's defined).  With dynamic predistortion we now have the ability to run the legal limit with less garbage off the sides than even recent SS rigs running 100 or 200 watts barefoot.

Experimentation is still alive and well with exotic modes bringing amplifier efficiencies no one would have believed in the 60s or 70s. Experiments are going on At frequencies so high no one even thought of them back in :the old days.

A few "decades" back, my cousin Dan (now SK) asked me if I'd be interested in designing the software for an SDR setup.  At the time I didn't have much enthusiasm for SDRs. Too bad I couldn't see a few decades ahead<sigh!>

73, Roger (K8RI)

--
Roger (K8RI)

---