Re: [Amps] Shipping a heavy HV Transformer

To: "'Ed Stallman'" <ed.n5dg@gmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping a heavy HV Transformer
From: "David H Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 08:42:40 -0500
        Hi Ed,

        Great to hear from you even indirectly.

        My Harbach purchases of similar size  arrived with a plywood base as I
recall, an if my CRS-ridden memory serves correctly, this was then encased in a
heavy duty cardboard box (all 3 dimensions). They key however was the
insulation (and the "This Side UP!" sticker... Anyway, the transformer was
bolted to the base (which I recall was 3/4" to allow for countersinking the
bottom bolts) and then (or rather more likely being cardboard boxed) wrapped in
an insulation foil (likely aluminum) impervious to acetone and other foam
insulation sealers. The interior was then thoroughly sprayed with what I
believe was polyester resin-based spray foam. It was likely the high-expansion
type, as it conformed to every curve, corner, you name it. If I ever ship one
again I'd do the same thing.
        My $.02 would be use either a thick aluminum foil carefully conformed
as best you can, or a piece of foil insulation to cover the transformer (base
wood included.) I'd then line the outer cardboard box with wax paper overlapped
as roofing paper (tar paper) is and tape the seams w/ Tyvek tape, or spray it
with anything acetone/MEK/ polyester  has no absorption or other effect.  Last
and most important: After transferring the covered transformer to the box, a
can of polyester spray foam to fill all voids.
        You could also make a solid plywood box but the use of polyester
resin-based filler is the same. If however the plywood box happened to have NOT
been coated with wax paper (or mold-release wax builders use for fiberglass
hull molds) you'll have one whopper of a task before you to just unwrap it.  If
I can find my photos of the last one I purchased I'll send them on.

        Good luck & belated Merry Christmas / HNY.

        73, Dave N3DB