Re: [Amps] Sad State of the Hobby

To: Lee Bahr <L@w0vt.us>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Sad State of the Hobby
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 08:46:41 -0600
Lee and others:

Some websites: https://www.qrz.com/db/kf8od, https://www.youtube.com/user/KF8OD1,http://www.w6pql.com/, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFbvWjEMQByLnvxUly5XvQ, https://eb104.ru/

KG0CE and I are building the W6PQL design. Packaging the amp is about half the work of building it, especially if you want features such as complete metering, auto-bandswitching, etc.

-John NI0K

Lee Bahr <mailto:L@w0vt.us>
Friday, January 19, 2018 9:18 PM
I'm not a beginner. Been a ham for 64 years. However I have never built a legal limit Solid State Amp. I have thrown my name in the hat with my friend Mike and both w5mp and w0vt are going to build two of them. We appreciate the info some have provided. We are now educating ourselves and will build when no longer babes in the woods. If anything, solid state amps appear to becoming easier to build. Seems like many commercial ham solid state amps are using really old technology. Mike and I don't want blinking LED lamps and LED bar graph meters and automatic band switching. Analog meters with a band switch for us! Leaving this stuff off will make things much simpler and less complicated. Less things to go wrong. Here in Houston Mike and I have been using a local aluminum machine shop to fabricate our chassis and cabinets for prior projects. They have done beautiful custom work at reasonable costs with fast turn around. So our projects will be nicely housed. We are both looking forward to the effort. Right now we are anticipating the cost to be around $1500.

Lee, w0vt

---

Friday, January 19, 2018 2:55 PM

REPLY:

That's true and there is a reason for that. Building a legal limit
solid state amp is not for beginners. A tube amp is much easier and
more forgiving of rookie mistakes.

Not to mention he would also have to build a set of harmonic filters
and get an antenna tuner, neither of which is needed with a tube amp.

FWIW.

73, Bill W6WRT
Thursday, January 18, 2018 9:08 PM
A friend of mine has been getting himself interested in building a super Full legal limit solid state amplifier. What is catching his attention are the relatively low cost high power FETs available out there. I know he is looking at the modules available from some Russian on eBay. He has started to get me interested but I am no design engineer. This evening I started researching this topic on the internet and was amazed at the lack of good info on the subject. Stuff there is 10 to 15 years old. I did a search at the ARRL web site and they have a 1000 watt amp article in their QEX magazine but that was way back around 2002 or so. OLD TECHNOLOGY! What is this? Nothing for 15 years? I knew the ARRL was falling behind in their technical articles but 15 years with no amp construction article? Man, this is truly sad! I suspect there are no decent articles on building one anywhere. This hobby has truly sunk to a new low. Guys can't even build their own dipoles anymore. I admit I am no design engineer but I can still build stuff. Even on this reflector I can't remember any talk about modern day amps and how to build one using the newly offered high powered FETs.
Lee, w0vt

---

Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:38 AM
Polyfet has a 2014 technical bulletin on their website, TB239. It uses their LY942 LDMOS transistor to make a flat 2-30 MHz 400 watt linear amplifier with 20 dB gain, using 50 volt parts. Its a compact layout and there is a full parts list along with plots. Has anyone built one of these? Its not 1200 or 1800 watts, but has decent 3rd order IMD results listed.
73
John
K5PRO