Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A problems

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A problems
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 02:28:02 -0700
On 10/2/2018 7:06 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
My remote ste uses a new Elecraft KPA1500.  So far, its PIN diode T/R
system has been flawless.  However, it's distressing to see PA deck
temperatures reach nearly 80 degs. C in RTTY and FT8 modes.

Thanks for a great analytical and thoughtful post. I have no opinion on the 87A's -- I have far too little experience with them nor knowledge of their control system.

I had K6XX's KPA1500 for a few weeks while he was in Germany competing in WRTC, and used it extensively on 6M running FT8. I also used it to work him and all but five of the WRTC competitors on 20M. It worked very well, but I felt that the fans and the firmware controlling fan speed needed some work so that the amp don't fold back un-necessarily when pushed on 6M, where it is least efficient.

73, Jim K9YC