Re: [Amps] Alpha 87a Fault 9

To: "'George Fremin III'" <geoiii@kkn.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87a Fault 9
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 15:00:06 -0400
If the bias voltage is OK, I would suspect a problem with one or both TX pin
diodes. This can be caused by arcing from L1 on the T/R board. There's a
rubber insulting pad under the inductor that disintegrates over time,
allowing the coil to arc to the PCB, a nearby screw, etc.

I would start by carefully examining L1 and the area around it for any sign
of arcing (black char, bare coil wire, etc.) If it's present, the coil
should be removed, the old rubber insulator cleaned away, a new rubber
insulator put down and the coil rewound. It's possible to do this without
removing the T/R board by clipping the coil leads and soldering the new coil
to them, but it's a little tricky.

If L1 has not been arcing, then it might be a breakdown of one or both TX
PIN diodes due to age, faulty part, etc.

In any case, since you're getting a reduction of receiver signals, I would
suspect that one or both TX PIN diodes will have to be replaced.

73, Dick WC1M