Re: [Amps] LDMOSFET questions for insiders

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] LDMOSFET questions for insiders
From: Daniel Artaud F6BRD via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 16:26:50 +0100
Manfred,

Your project is a great task, congratulations.

During more than 40 years working in the RF world I always heard about transistors failing. But for now, reliability has increased to a reasonable level because of manufacturer's improvements but it had taken much time and meanwhile given much work with pain to the designers.

The main cause of transistors' failing is drain (collector) over-voltage which often translates by over-current or avalanche. It is very difficult to limit over-voltage even if you limit the input power, you have to take care of load impedance (swr), overshoot of ALC, spurious signals, di/dt. The second: Temperature, in amateur use, must not be a problem in a well designed amplifier.

Some were so flimsy that a 50ns (nanosecond) pulse over Vds max was able to burn a cell and short gate to source. This was done per example when disconnecting the input connector with RF present in CW. With a controlled rise/fall-time electronic switch  there was no problem. Quick external SWR also affected the transistor in spite of a quick 500ns responding protection.

Some manufacturers recognize the weakness afterwards. You are not lucky if you use them! https://mwexpert.typepad.com/freescale/ : What defines LDMOS Ruggedness: Obsolete VSWR Tests gives way to “Fast Times at Doherty High”

Then we used from another manufacturer a as spec said "rugged transistor" all the problems were gone. But when one failed it was not a single cell failure but we were seeing all black cells inside as usually.

The problems with SWR are: that with a sudden SWR (open or short antenna feeder), before the security device begins to respond,the transistor sees infinite SWR. And when we asked different manufacturers "how much time your device can sustain an infinite vswr" their response where elusive. During this High SWR does the transistor see high voltage or drains high current. High current is not a problem but high voltage is.

Your idea to monitor vds is paramount and rather easy up to few hundred MHz with a well shielded resistive divider terminated with 50 ohm connected to an RF cold ground.

VLF to MW band transmitters which use switched amplifiers in class D monitor the sign of the reactance to protect mosfets.

I have also seen MRF157s failing in the driver of a big SW broadcast transmitter when there was a flash in the tube. The tube was protected by switching off the solid state modulator. (Formerly protection used ignitrons) A clipper was then added at each transistor drain to limit induced voltage under Vds max and problems were gone.

Before connecting your PWM modulator make a full DC sweep of your amplifier because I remember when we began to design with envelope tracking (not doing EER or Kahn but tracking few volts above the strictly necessary drain voltage; the amplifier being in class AB) the transistor was going into oscillation around 20V DC. This mosfet (the same generation as the one you planed to use, but he was climbing to 900 MHz) went into oscillation when the bias was applied before drain voltage. Usually the bias is applied when the drain voltage is about 80% under nominal value to prevent that, but here it is not possible. I advice you to do the test using the current control of your power supply to sweep the all range voltage while controlling the stability. Don't forget to design with the decoupling capacitors compatible with your PWM filter; you may decrease their values severely leading  perhaps to instabilities.

I think you will need some linearity correction mostly for low voltages. From 20 V to 50 V the linearity is fair.

Concerning overdrive as I remember (5 to 6 years ago) in Digital TV (OFDM) there was around 6 dB clipping and RF peaks always around 2x Vd while  with adaptive linearity correction peaks were beyond vgs max!.

Due to fast acting, your primary protection MUST be hardware for SWR, over-voltage, over-current and overdrive or ALC. The microcontroller is for flavor and management of the slow events.
Even the digital Icoms 7300, 7610 use direct analog control for ALC and SWR.

Also, you can dig interesting informations here:

http://www.highfrequencyelectronics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=47&Itemid=145
https://www.highfrequencyelectronics.com/Dec10/HFE1210_Brounley.pdf
http://www.highfrequencyelectronics.com/Apr04/HFE0404_Brounley.pdf
http://www.highfrequencyelectronics.com/Sep08/HFE0908_Grebennikov.pdf
http://www.highfrequencyelectronics.com/Jun10/HFE0610_Andrei_Part2.pdf
https://www.microsemi.com/document-portal/doc_view/133846-vswr-testing-of-rf-power-mosfets

And if you have classical amps and want to play with:
http://www.highfrequencyelectronics.com/Jun04/HFE0604_Gutierrez.pdf
At least it works with old Mosfets like BLF 278 in class AB

I hope this helped you a little.
And for the end, if you need some devices tell me in PM

73 and good luck.
Daniel, F6BRD