[Amps] SSR in amp PS not working as expected - UPDATED

To: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SSR in amp PS not working as expected - UPDATED
From: Ulf Tjerneld <ulf@sm0nor.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 08:30:12 +0100
Thanks for all input and new insights!
W7RY mentioned earlier in this thread that the late WD7S experienced the same
problem. Indeed, I found the comment on his website.  In the D-series of Crydom
relays he found that he needed to load the transformer primary with about 40 mA
to hold the relays. I tried that with a couple of resistors from the junk box.
I ended up with about  4,2 Kohm resulting in about 50mA (EU 230V) on the
primary and voilà, the relays actuates and the transformer comes to life!
Still, there is as very faint hum from the transformer indicating that
something is not perfect, since without the SSR:s the hum is inaudible.
Maybe I will sleep better with a couple of trusty coil-driven relays instead.
But at least, now I know more about why!
Thanks to all for the engagement!
/Ulf – SM0NOR

Sent from Mail for Windows 10