Re: [Amps] Different versions of 3-500 tubes in amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Different versions of 3-500 tubes in amp
From: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 08:26:03 -0600
Hi Warren,

I have had the same problem.  My Henry had two Eimac-looking type 3-500s in it, but one stopped working (that was spectacular all by itself, actually).  So I purchased a new 3-500ZG to get out of a bind, because it was all that was available to actually get the radio back on the air for the contest with two days' notice.

Although the ZG and the Eimac-looking one worked fine together, I realized that my sense of world order was completely thrown off by having two tubes that didn't look the same, and one of them didn't glow like the other.  I would wake up in the morning lethargic, and wondering "What is the point?" etc, stuff like that.  Probably also had a stuffy nose.  So after the contest I went on the prowl to find a pair of proper Eimac tubes, found them, and now all is right with the world and I have a spare ZG with very low hours that I hope to sell to some ham who doesn't care as much about that sort of thing as I do.

My health has generally improved since changing over to Eimac tubes, but I am not sure the two events are related.

Mark N5OT