Re: [Amps] SS Amps are expensive...why?

To: "k0wa@swbell.net" <k0wa@swbell.net>, Amps Reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SS Amps are expensive...why?
From: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 22:21:30 -0800
On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 1:05 PM Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net> wrote:

> Why are solid state amps so expensive?  Even the kits are lots of
> dollars.   What makes them so?
> Lee

Well, one must also consider the effects of inflation.

I purchased a brand new Alpha 87A in 1993 for $5,490 (I think this included
shipping).  That's equivalent to $9,740 in today's dollars (source
<https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=$5490(1993)>).

I recently replaced it with an Elecraft KPA1500, which cost me $5,995
(thanks to the pre-order special, free shipping).

Both amps. are essentially equivalent in performance, offering quiet
high-speed full QSK operation via PIN didoes, at 1500W, with automatic band
changing.  The KPA1500 also adds 6m coverage, and includes an internal
automatic antenna tuner.  The Alpha 87A fan is quieter, but the Alpha is
also MUCH heavier (70 lbs in one box vs. 37 lbs total, in two boxes).

The Alpha 87A is still in perfect condition, and is for sale for $2,700 +
shipping.  I will be happy to wave the shipping cost and personally deliver
it free of charge to anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area who would like to
buy it.

I can also bring it to the Visalia DX Convention in April.

73,
Bob, N6TV