Re: [Amps] Nylon in RF Tank Circuits

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Nylon in RF Tank Circuits
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:56:16 -0400
  Jim W8ZR MU 4CX250B wrote:

For decades I’ve avoided using nylon hardware in the vicinity of an RF
tank circuit because I believed nylon was prone to absorbing RF and
burning. I don’t know how or when I came to learn this information,
but now I’m wondering if I’m wrong. Normally I use  brass hardware.
Had anyone else heard this caution?

  I think nylon absorbs 2.54 GHz. (MW oven {cooker}) more than delron
and several other usable "plastics" but at VHF and below I am sure that
is insignificant, but in my many years of experience (including nylon
"tie wraps" from many suppliers) I can tell you the time it takes for
nylon items to break is excessively short.
Your choice of brass hardware can't be beat.  It can be soldered so it
is a plus over stainless steel.  (I buy 3' lengths of 6-32 brass `all
thread rod' and brass nuts, I solder a nut on one end of a short length
to make a bolt.  (I use a nut driver on both ends.)
  If a construction material is needed nylon is weak and easily broken.
  If an insulator is needed nylon is a poor choice as it cracks from age
quickly compared to glass, Pyrex, ceramic, delron and polyethylene.

  I think you are avoiding nylon for the wrong reason, but I think it is
a gud thing that you are.
--
  Ron  KA4INM - Understanding is much better than
                                      knowing how.