Re: [Amps] Failure of a pair of FU728F

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Failure of a pair of FU728F
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 18:20:50 -0400
On 2019-09-15 4:40 PM, w9bs@w9bs.com wrote:
I was running the OM4000a at 200-300w out (with around 3-4w of
drive), and tuning it as normal to the "carrot" on the tuning
indicator.
Sounds like the "carrot" is not optimum tuning for low power and
results in some parameter (G1, G2, etc.) running out of tolerance
at that level.  I would never rely on a "tuning indicator" as the
sole indicator of proper tuning for a tetrode.

The FU728F G1 is rated for a maximum dissipation of 1W.  If the
amplifier is not loaded heavily enough (particularly when operated
at low power output), it is very easy to exceed the grid dissipation
limit.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV