[Amps] SB-220 HV Transformer Wanted ; thread stolen for

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 HV Transformer Wanted ; thread stolen for
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 09:30:29 -0700
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 06:45:49 -0400
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
bias question

> True or (almost) class B amplifiers are only found in push pull audio
> amplifiers where one tube amplifies the positive half of the drive signal
> and the other tube amplifies the negative half. Even then often the tubes
> are biased for a small amount of idle plate current.

  ************

   I must respectfully disagree.  The: "plate current flows over exactly
only 50% of the cycle of the input" is the "book learning" explanation
(I went to a better school than that) and true (actually used) class "B"
operation is in no way restricted to: "class B amplifiers are only found
in push pull audio amplifiers" as many 250. Watts to 50,000. Watts am
radio transmitters use class "B" audio modulators and many RF amplifiers
also, including almost all solid state 100. Watt transceivers and many
MOS high power amplifiers use true class "B" final amplifiers - with an
elevated bias for a tiny 100% (degrees) current.
That does not make them class "A" or class AB."

##  better ask  for  your  money  back.   A  class  B  AM  modulator  in
an AM  broadcast  TX  IS a push-pull  audio  amplifier.   100  watt  xcvrs
use  push-pull  RF transistors  as  well.   Both draw  idle  current.   If  they
draw  idle  current,  they  are  not  class  B.

##  AM  broadcast  RF  pa   runs  class  C.   PP  modulator  runs  class  AB.
FM broadcast uses  class C.

   The proper definition of class "B" amplification is not:
  "exactly 180 degrees of conduction" it is:
  "one device amplifies the positive half of the drive signal and the
other device amplifies the negative half" also not:
"often the devices are biased for a small amount of idle plate current."
But: "class "B" linear amplifier devices are ALWAYS biased for a small
amount of idling plate current to cancel the crossover distortion."
   The only possible exception is where non linear RF generator is being
use to heat something such as plywood glue setting and such.  Frequently
50 kW.

   Class "B" final amplifiers are the most overall efficient form of high
power linear amplification if you take the idling power into
consideration, the power consumed over a long period of time, such as a
week or month.
   Additionally they cancel out their second (the big one and all even)
harmonics.
   I imagine class "B" final amplifiers are more linear than most single
ended amplifiers driven into grid current.  (I have no proof.)

##  when  was  the  last  time  you  saw a push-pull  class  B
RF linear amp....using tubes ??   I  saw  one  when  I  was a kid,
and  it  was not  linear.  2 x  tubes  in  P-P  is a complex mess
for  RF  HF  freqs..esp  multi  band.  They  draw  lotsa  idle  current.
Same  2 x tubes in  parallel,  in  AB  for  ssb
linear  use....  or  class  C, for   CW,  FM  use is  even  more  eff.

##  GG  triodes cant  be used  In  class  B  on  CW.... u  will  get  key
clix.
A  simple PI  net  will kill  even  and  odd  harmonics.   Typ P-P  Ham  xcvr
requires  7 x LP  filters  to  kill  even +  odd  harmonics.  GG  triode  does
not  require a  LP  filter.....none.

Jim   VE7RF

--
    Ron  W4BIN - Understanding is much better than
                                        knowing how.