Re: [Amps] Ten Tec Titan Power Supply

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten Tec Titan Power Supply
From: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:16:26 -0500
Agreed.

Check out the caps.

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY

On 3/24/2020 4:46 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 3/24/2020 2:33 PM, Ken Claerbout wrote:
I have a Titan "Golden Series" amp and power supply here that I was

Does anyone have a schematic for this style power supply?  I'm sure I
can figure it out eventually, just hoping I might save some time if
the schematic is available.

Hi Ken. Two thoughts. First, the almost certain culprit is failure of one or more of the big HV caps that are in series. Best test I know of is an old-fashioned VOM, checking each cap individually with forward and reverse measurement, noting the relative charge/discharge current. A good cap will have a lot. They can remain in-circuit for the test.

I've needed to do this for two of the three 425s I own. In both cases, I only needed to replace one or two of the caps.

Second, I'd be pretty surprised if the schematic differs a LOT from the earlier version that's on my website. k9yc.com/publish.htm

I suspect the failure is the result of the caps needing to be re-formed. Other list members can provide better advice than I.

73, Jim K9YC