Re: [Amps] Clipperton L - GI-7B

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Clipperton L - GI-7B
From: Roger Parsons via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 01:58:02 +0000 (UTC)
Peter, DJ8WW wrote:

'In my opinion -26dB IP3 is terrible with qro, probably acceptable with qrp.'

I fear that I must disagree with you Peter. -26dB IP3 measured compared to
either of two tones is equivalent to -32dB measured compared to PEP. The latter
is the measure normally quoted for amateur equipment.

I had a glance through a lot of ARRL measurements on both transceivers and
amplifiers. Many of the transceivers, including some quite surprising ones,
were worse than -32dB IP3. Most of the amplifiers were better, but often by not
a lot. And a transceiver/amplifier combination will (nearly always) be worse
than either one of them alone.

73 Roger
VE3ZI