[Amps] Clipperton L - GI-7B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Clipperton L - GI-7B
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 07:51:00 -0800
##  meanwhile, the Elecraft K3  is a lousy  -29 db PEP  (IMD3)  at  100 watts
pep out.    The  ANAN 7000 / 8000 is a lousy  -30 db  pep ( IMD3 )   with pure
signal  disconnected.    On  most of these  SS  xcvrs , when power output is
reduced,
the  IMD  drops like a rock.   A  TS-850 is  -30 db  PEP  when run at  max
rated  100 watts  pep output.....  which  drops a whole bunch  when run at
just  85 watts pep out..... which then  drops  through the floor  when run at
50 watts  pep out.
I see the same thing on my  FT-1000D  and also my  FT-1000MP-MKV.

##  IMO,  I see nothing wrong with  referencing IMD  to pep output.     S
meters  are all peak reading devices, whether  a panel meter or peak reading
leds.     If  Joe ham is  say  30 db  over S9  on ssb  mode,
but only  S9, when tuned off freq by  XX khz, then  Joe hams  IMD  is  down 30
db...end of  story.   We  dont say  Joe hams splatter is  24 db  down  from one
tone of a 2  tone signal.

Jim   VE7RF