Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] World's worst coax connectors
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 19:07:15 -0400
Here's one explanation from a non-authoritative source, although the
publication is highly regarded in the pro-audio industry:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-how-should-wire-xlr-cables

The discussion in the link above concludes with a reference to the Neutrik
EMC series XLR connector.  It uses an integrated capacitor between Pin 1 and
the shell.  For anyone not yet bored by the discussion, have a look at the
bottom table, "Pin 1 Problem" in this Neutrik application note where the EMC
capacitors are shown:

https://www.neutrik.com/media/9117/download/typlical-application-emc-xlr.pdf
?v=1

I'm a bit skeptical of the effectiveness across a broad range of EMI/RFI but
it looks like it may be an "AES acceptable" way to join two midpoint XLR
connectors.  The top of the application points to my original concern.  See
"Interrupt of Circumferential Shield," and "Connector Shell Floating."

Paul, W9AC