[Antennaware] Baluns and Cushcraft D40

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Baluns and Cushcraft D40
From: sm3cwe.owe at telia.com (owe persson)
Date: Sun Apr 20 19:33:21 2003
Hi Mike!
Why don?t you like the coax-loop? Does it look bad or what??
The coax-loop is a very efficient balun and cost you practically nothing.
It makes the balanced antenna match to the unbalanced coax-cable and
prevent you from getting radioenergy on the outside of the coax-cable.
If you have the possibility of digging the coax into the soil before the coax
comes into your shack, it is even better.
I think you will have more loss in your balun than in the coax-balun. By
the way, the coax-balun does nothing to the impedance.
If you must use an ordinary balun make it 1:1, because the impedence of
a shortened dipole of this fashion is very close to 50 ohm +- some  j ohm
if you are out of resonance.

73 de Owe /SM3CWE