[Antennaware] Re: Antennaware Digest, Vol 4, Issue 6

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [Antennaware] Re: Antennaware Digest, Vol 4, Issue 6
From: K7LXC at aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 13:17:56 2003
In a message dated 4/21/03 9:06:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
antennaware-request@contesting.com writes:

> I just bought a cushcraft D40, 40 meter rotatable dipole and want to try an
>  alternative to the 12 loops of coax.  Can I use an off-the-shelf balun used
>  for dipoles?  What is the feedpoint impedance of the dipole before the
>  balun, ie., should I use a 2:1 or 4:1 balun?  Ideas?

Hi, Michael --

    This question is better posted to TowerTalk - the tower and HF antenna
construction reflector. Antennaware is mostly for discussions of antenna
modeling software.

    To answer your question, any 1:1 balun will be FB. The main problem with
using the CC-type RF choke is that it splits the coax to the feedpoint which
is difficult to waterproof. Also, do not use a foam dielectric- type coax for
the wound RF choke since it'll cold-flow over time whereas a more dense
dielectric (i.e. RG-213) won't.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH