Re: [Antennaware] Question

To: k8ze@charter.net, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Question
From: Joe Reisert <W1JR@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:53:53 -0500
Mike etal,

Sealing an RF coax connector is a constant problem. When I moved to New England (from San Jose) in 1974, everyone up here said "get some silicon grease (I think they called it DC-4?) and squeeze it into the connector to keep out water and then seal the connector with electrical tape.

I did what they recommended but a few years later I started to have problems. It turned out that small droplets of water did somehow got in and migrated into the silicon grease. Eventually it caused an RF path and I had flash overs that blew up the connectors on VHF with moderate power (500 Watts).

What I found out is that (what I think) is the proper technique is to not apply the grease inside the connector but instead lightly apply a thin layer of silicon grease (the compound you find in a small packet as you described) sometimes enclosed with expensive connectors or antennas to the connector threads and then apply tape on the outside of the connector to seal it. If all goes well, and water intrudes, the grease will usually confine it to the threads. A small amount of water inside the connector usually doesn't hurt.

73,

Joe W1JR