[Antennaware] Modeling Software -

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] Modeling Software -
From: Norman Alexander <npalex@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 05:29:13 -0800 (PST)
I would like to know from some of those who are active in modeling antennas
what software is being used.  If more then one source, what correlation issues
have been observed.  I don't think that the high end programs using NEC-4
engine are applicable to this query.

I have been a user of the early DOS based Antenna Optimizer (AO) which was a
good learning tool, simple to load information and easy to iterate parameters.
At my introduction to this program, it was no longer being supported by the
author.

My early modeling activity included a DOS version of EZNEC which soon was
upgraded to versions 3, then V 4 (most often used).  EZNEC 4 was primarily used
in the design of both mono-band and multi-band multi-element quads.   The
number of segments that could be processed was a limitation in the earlier
software packages.

LB Cebik was a frequent source of modeling information on modeling technique.
I have also taken the ARRL Modeling course (heavilly influenced by LB) and
began using NECWIN-Plus, which is now my program of choice.  The primary reason
is that the data is entered into a spreadsheet format.

The spreadsheet has most of the features of any spreadsheet, with the attendant
use of equations, formulas, etc. to modify variables.  It was easy to express
antenna element parameters as variables that are easily iterated, and
propagated through the entire design. Important in quads were data is
essentially replicated 4 times for each element side.

 It is possible to create element formulas that changing one value on the
spreadsheet could result in changing the antenna from vertical to horizontal
polarity (rotate 90deg about the boom axis).

The above sort of summarizes my background in the use of modeling software - my
question to the group is -
what software are you using?
What type of antennas designs are you most experienced in?

I am most interested in those of you who are using NECWIN-Plus, and the types
of antenna experience.  The purpose is of course to share the experiences.
Hopefully this discussion will be considered On Topic.

Regards,

Norm W4QN