Re: [Antennaware] Dual output K9AY

To: "Andy Ikin" <andrew.ikin@btopenworld.com>,antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Dual output K9AY
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 17:19:36 -0400
Andrew, I am very suspicious.  Running this model in Multinec (NEC2)
and 4NEC2, it appears to be very sensitive to the value of the
assumed ground resistance.  At 200 ohms, it gives me a peak gain
-18.4 versus average of -26.  At 100 ohms the figures are -15.4 and
-23.2, and at 50 ohms -12.4 and -20.2.  At 5 ohms the values are -3.1
vs -11.  The reference single-feed version gives -26 vs -34.

I ran the same dual feed arrangement with another model of the loop,
as modified by W7EL.  He uses a pair of 50-foot radials perpendicular
to the plane of the loop in lieu of a direct ground connection,
Real-Sommerfeld ground and no series resistance to ground.  That
model gives quite similar results, -9.8 dB vs -17.95.  The reference
single-feed version gives -25.9 vs -33.94.

I can't explain the results, but I fortunately, it should be fairly
easy to test. an 8 to 16 dB difference in signal strengths between
the reference loop and the dual-feed design should really be
obvious.  I'll be interested to see how your tests come out.

73, Pete N4ZR